Funeral for family of eight killed by carbon monoxide poisoning from generator after their electricity was cut off

Eight coffins lined the stage of a Maryland auditorium for the funeral services Saturday for a family that died from carbon monoxide poisoning in their home earlier this month.

The Todd family - a 36-year-old father and his seven children aged six to 15 - were tragically killed as they slept in their Princess Anne home. Father Rodney Todd was raising the children after divorcing their mother in November.

The six-hour funeral service brought 1,200 people to the Ella Fitzgerald Auditorium at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore on Saturday to pay their respect to the family.

Men, women and children, some in funeral attire and others donning T-shirts reading 'The Todd Family: Gone But Not Forgotten' walked across the stage to visit the coffins of five girls, two boys and one man.

The children have been named as children as boys Cameron Todd, 13, and Zycheim Todd, 7; and girls Tynijuiza Todd, 15; Tykira Todd, 12; Tybree Todd, 10; Tyania Todd, 9; and Tybria Todd, 6.

Their caskets, arranged in order of age, were lined with white and decorated with heart-shaped floral arrangements, according to The Baltimore Sun.

The boys and father were dressed in white suits and the girls in lace dresses and tiaras.  

The children's mother, Tyisha Chambers, 36, sat in the front row of the auditorium and did not speak during the service.

Todd and his children were poisoned in their sleep only days after the power company discovered a stolen meter and cut off electricity to their rental home, police said.

Delmarva Power said it cut off power for safety reasons on March 25, not because the family was behind on its bills, as family members previously had said.

With the power out, Todd, who worked a $10-an-hour job in dining services at the university, had bought the generator and put it in his kitchen to keep his two sons and five daughters warm. Friends and relatives last saw them alive March 28.

'Probably it was bedtime and they decided they needed some light and probably some heat, because toward the end of March even though it was spring we were having some pretty chilly nights,' Princess Anne police Chief Scott Keller said.

Police found their bodies April 6 inside the one-story, wood-frame home on Maryland's Eastern Shore after school workers, friends and the father's co-workers knocked on the door with no answer.



Most Read