Woman Arrested For Decapitating 3 Month Old Daughter

Deasia Watkins, 20, was arrested on an aggravated murder charge Monday morning for the death of her 3-month-old daughter Jayniah.

A child in the home, located in the 5900 block of Waldway Lane, found the newborn lying on the counter with a severed head, according to Dr. Lakshmi Sammarco, Hamilton County Coroner.

The baby also suffered multiple stab wounds to the face and a fractured right arm.

"These are images that will undoubtedly be marked in my memory," Sammarco described. She noted that a cause of death has yet to be determine but the word "decapitation" will be used in the coroner's report.

No one struggling more to comprehend this crime than Jayniah's family members. Jayniah's father, James Brown, said this has been one of the most difficult times in his life, losing his first born child.

"I miss her, and I wish she was here," said James Brown.

Brown said this is devastating for him because he also lost his mother at a young age.

"Just trying to live with the situation that's been going on has been very hard for me," said Brown. "She's so young and I haven't really had a chance to be around her as long as I wanted to."

Jobs and Family Services took custody of Jayniah earlier this month following a court motion that stated the child could be in immediate danger in its surroundings.

Although Watkins was ordered to stay away from her daughter, an aunt who received custody allowed Watkins to live with her, said Prosecutor Joe Deters.

Careatha White, Jayniah's paternal great aunt, said that Watkins suffered from postpartum psychosis and she believed the Hamilton County system failed the child in letting her stay with a mentally ill mother.

"This could have been avoided, seriously," said White. "Job and family services needed to be more on their A-game, investigate more in-depth with people."

Deters said at a press conference on Tuesday that it appeared Jobs and Family Services had done their jobs exactly as they should.

"No one has the resources to monitor a mother and neglected child 24/7. They did what they had to do and unfortunately this happened, said Deters.

Deters said a grand jury will hear the case and that he does not anticipate seeking a death penalty specification due to apparent mental illness.

"This is a very quiet street. We're all community-oriented. We all talk to each other," said Shawntee Brown, who lives near the family. "It's hard to believe something like this happened because I really don't see a lot of activity down there." The coroner's entire forensic team is expected to piece the case together in an investigation this week.

"We're trying to do right by this child. We need to bring some justice for this baby,"


Most Read